Derek up early Saturday morning and went to help a family roof their home. They spent most the time scraping off a layer of asphalt that was laid over wood shingles. Derek came back with his arms, and all of his clothes nice and black! I'm proud of you dear for being willing to serve!
I am unable to spend a lot on groceries each month. Fruit is one thing that we aren't able to have very often. I have been able to find jars for free, boxes of lids for a dollar, and pectin for less than that. All of the things I have canned (or frozen) have been given to me from friends, or just by word of mouth. Because of this, I am able to provide canned fruit and jam for my family, which I would be unable to buy. Besides being just a financial blessing, it is nice to know exactly what you are eating, especially when you deal with multiple severe food allergies on a daily basis. Some of you have expressed interest. If you are interested in canning, you do need to have some basic things before starting (also things I have been able to get for free!!!) Water bath canning is the best way to start. You can usually find these used at yard sales or second hand stores for cheap. You do all your fruits (including tomatoes) this way. If you have the time, it is not that difficult, and you can almost always find fruit for free if you look, just let people know! Someone out there has free produce that isn't being used! If you have questions, let me know!
5 comments:
Looks like you guys are busy busy and some fun too. We have been taking it easy what with the rain and all.
Good job with the canning! I love to can, unfortunatly I haven't had access to anything this year to can. It is such a feeling of accomplishment, isn't it? :)
Looks like you have had lots of fun, busy and fulfilling times! Awesome on the canning. On a budget or not it is great to take advantage of the bounty we have been given. So even from a far off blogger friend know that I think your family is great for the service you give your family and to others! Glad you got that wagon. We have put lots of miles on ours. I think my one arm might be slightly longer than the other now!!
Looks beautiful... the cans I mean! J/K. I'm impressed!
who is that sexy looking guy?
Post a Comment