So Jess, the one time I don't actually bake from scratch :) That's right, I cheated and used a cake mix. Duncan Hines has come out and tried to make the majority of their cake mixes dairy, egg, and nut free. I applaud them for taking the step, especially when it makes my life easier! However, the cake mix doesn't work well with my egg substitution so I am still playing with it! I was in the middle of canning, and didn't want to take the time to make a cake from scratch. I started with two round cake pans, and was going to do the race track in a figure 8. My cake didn't turn out as I had hoped, without the egg they are much too moist and fall apart! So, what you see, is all the crumbled cake lovingly forced into one little round circle. I piped frosting on the oreos, and stuck them around the side for "tires". I used crushed oreos for the dirt on the track, and frosted over oreos for the green grass in the middle. I couldn't frost the cake because it was just a mess! The lines on the road are actually marshmallows. The end result looks okay, but I was almost in tears trying to get it to come together! Thanks for making me relive my shining moment in the kitchen!! Just be grateful you don't have to adapt everything-it flops half the time before I can get anything to turn out right!!!
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
How Awesome that duncan hines is making their cakes allergy free! For awhile when laura was about two we thought she had wheat intolerance and went gluten free for awhile, so I can relate in a small way to how hard it is to substitute things and have it turn out. My rice flour pizza crust was a disaster. lol! Your cake looked good!
You are an awesome mom!! This past year after struggling with my health I was sent to an allergists and tested and found out I was allergic to 18 different things, most of which I eat. Thankfully its nothing life threatening and can tolerate most of the things to a small degree but a totally applaud what you are doing for your son. And allergy's or not, I love that you made his cake it looks great!
Tami- You are Outstanding!! I have heard about your adaptations, but that cake....WOW!! adorable. Don't worry, I have nonadapted cakes that I have "ruined" and cried over in the past years. Is there an allergy recipe substitution website for such things???
And hey thanks for the nice post!
Like the new look. Good for you to be able to improvise when the cake was not working with you. Looks like he had a great birthday.
Post a Comment